Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Striped blanket.

For years I was waiting for an occasion to knit some baby blanket, and finally I don't find any reasons to wait. This blanket might be used on the baby bed as well as on the bigger teenager bed. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Natie379/striped-blanket
After looking through all my "Le copertine piu belle" magazines of Mani di Fata I chose between 2 patterns, adapting them to my taste. I used Garnstudio DROPS Baby Merino yarn (100% merino, 175 m/50gr). It has a great choice of colors and it's perfect for making blankets, as it grows a lot. I had bad experience with some other yarns, when after washing the garments were reduced in their size. I wanted to have a knitted fabric which grows rather than shrinks.
I used colorways 24, 02, 09. 17.




Here is the summery of the work done: 
27/09 Started the border. 
29/09 Finished the first stripe. Even if the blanket is planned to be rather big (90cm per 120cm), I think it will be enough 1 skein of each color and 4/5 skiens of cream. Still I have to order a yellow color. I like the stitch pattern and with the rest of the yarn I can do some hat and scarf, and even little jacket. 
30/09 I‘ve started the third, green stripe and I’m not sure I need a yellow one. Maybe instead it would be better another brown, and then green, blue and brown again. 



02/10 I’m on the middle of the lenght (9 stripes instead of 8 in total). Not bad, but for knitting 2 stripes I need a little bit more than 1 skein, so I have to reorder one skein of brown. I’ll definetely order more skeins of this yarn to make matching cardigan, hat and scarf.
04/10 The green stripe is on the needles, blue and brown are left. It is much quicker project then I’ve expected. But I need more brown yarn to finish it. And I haven’t ordered it from Fiordilana still (they make 25% discount on it till the 7th of October). So, now I’ll start the hat for me.
07/10 Ultimate stripe, the yarn has just arrived. Then the border, and my biggest (for now) blanket is completed. And then, what should I start? Umaro III (even bigger) or Market jacket? 
11/10 Feeling a bit tired to cast-off, but tomorrow it will be fresh off the needles.

After washing the blanket I had a couple of days of anxiety. The reason was that the blanket has grown more then I had expected, and as I don't have any surface big enough to be able to block the garment in the better way, I had to wait till it had shrunk to its expected size. That was really a stress. 

1 comment: